Have you ever wondered what it would be like to write a story and have it brought to life on stage for an audience? Enter our play contest and you just might find out! Artsview Children’s Theatre Original Works Playwright Contest is back, and our theme this year is Fairy Tales and Fables. Winning plays will have their works brought to life on the stage this Spring-2018!
Download Playwright Contest Packet here.
Details and Rules:
1. There are 3 age categories. At least one winner per category will be selected if the play meets criteria listed below according to the judging panel’s decision. (There can be collaborations. Play will be placed in the oldest person’s age category.)
Ages 5-8: Play should run 2-5 minutes in length.
Ages 9-12: Play should run 5-8 minutes in length.
Ages 13-22: Play should run 15-25 minutes in length.
2. The title / theme for this year’s contest is Fairy Tales and Fables. Characters can be fictional or based on real people you know. Plays must be ORIGINAL works. No adaptations.
3. Plays need to be written for an elementary aged audience. (Maturity level of Ages 5-10)
4. Plays will be appropriate for children’s theater. The judging panel will make the final decision as to whether plays are appropriate. If you have any questions concerning this as you are writing, please call ArtsView at 903.236.7535.
5. Costumes, props, and sets will be minimal. *Maximum of 10 characters in the play. This includes narrators.*
6. Plays should be written in play format.
7. Plays must be typed in a word processing document. If you have an extenuating circumstance, please call and let us know.
8. To submit a work, please deliver or mail the following to the ArtsView office:
a. Information Cover Sheet (See download link above)
b. Title page with the title of your play and your name/s
c. Printed copy of your script (Will not be returned; please make a copy!)
d. Copy of play on a CD or flash drive (Will not be returned; please make a copy!)
8. Deadline for submission is Friday, Feb. 9, 2018.
9. Winners will be listed on the ArtsView website and the ArtsView Facebook page on Friday, March 2, 2018. Winners will also receive an informational email. The winning plays will be brought to life through the following ways:
*The ages 5-12 winning plays will be performed on stage as the performance piece for our Happily Ever After acting performance camp on Friday, April at 7 p.m. Winning playwrights of these 2 plays will be recognized at this show and will receive 4 free tickets to the performance.
*The ages 13-22 winning play will be put on the stage by the cast/crew of the ArtsView Performing Troupe and be performed at ArtsView on Friday, May 4th At 7 p.m. as well as for local elementary schools by the Troupe in the Spring! The Winning playwright will be recognized at the Friday, May 4th evening performance at 7 p.m. and will receive 4 free tickets to this performance.
Area authors, schools, teachers, and homeschool communities are encouraged to participate! This is a wonderful opportunity to see original works written for children come to life through theatre!
Any questions, please email Alisha Kimbley,
Education Director at email@example.com.