a play by
from the novel by
Produced by Special Arrangement with The Gurman Agency LLC
~Special Thanks to the City of Longview ~
ArtsView Children’s Theatre wishes to thank the Cultural Activities Advisory Commission for their continuing support of selected productions and musicals
Young Adult Production Ages 13-22
Auditions: April 29, 2017
Evenings: June 1-3 at 7:00pm
Matinee: June 3 at 2:00pm
Audition Location, Dates, & Times
Audition Sign-Up Online: March 13 – April 26, 2017
Location: ArtsView Children’s Theatre, 313 West Tyler St., Longview, TX 75601
Auditions: Saturday – April 29, 12:00 – 5:00pm
Cast List: Posted by 9:00pm, Saturday, April 29 (on website, Facebook, & ACT door)
If cast, and 18 or under, there is a $50 supply fee which includes T-shirt, costumes, and production supplies.
*Participation in auditions does not guarantee a role in the production.*
~ See audition details below ~
Caitlin’s world has always been black and white. As a young lady on the autism spectrum, she used to rely on her older brother to help make sense of things beyond dictionaries, schedules, and the facial expressions chart at school. But now that he’s gone, she’s all on her own. With the support of her advisor, father, and a new reading buddy, Caitlin begins to understand how to get close to people again, embrace the “messiness” of emotions, and use her burgeoning artistic talents to move on. Hailed as “extraordinary… [a] moving and insightful masterpiece” by Publishers Weekly, Kathryn Erskine’s 2010 National Book Award–winning young adult novel has been adapted for the stage by Julie Jensen, a recipient of the Kennedy Center Award for New American Plays. This moving, vibrant, and surprisingly humorous world premiere play shows how the perseverance of one girl can change a community–and how black and white can always be complemented by a kaleidoscope of colors.
The director will be looking for actors who can read the assigned roles with personality and depth.
Caitlin – a girl on the autistic spectrum – she may have a curious speech pattern, may speak too loudly, too precisely
Dad – Caitlin’s father
Mrs. Brook – Caitlin’s school counselor
Mrs. Johnson – Caitlin’s teacher
Michael – Caitlin’s friend in the first grade – may be missing his r’s
Josh – school bully
Emma – a girl in Caitlin’s class
Brianna – a girl in Caitlin’s class
Shane – a boy in Caitlin’s class
Jose – a boy in Caitlin’s class
William H. – one of the boys Caitlin’s age – on the low end of the autistic spectrum
Mr. Schneider – Michael’s father
Ensemble – funeral guests and classmates
Sign Up Online March 13 – April 26, 2017
Members of the audition panel are looking for actors with individuality, energy, the ability to take direction, and the ability to cooperate in a group. During auditions, actors are encouraged to perform actions and dialogue that will best represent the characters in the play. This will help the panel determine which role may be best for you!
A successful audition means accomplishing the following goals:
1. Do the best you can that day. Be confident and focus on having a good audition, instead of simply getting cast.
2. Learn something. Never leave an audition/call back without learning a new acting trick, new audition material, or making a new friend.
3. Have Fun! Yes, “Acting is Reacting,” BUT….it’s also PRETENDING! It’s time to PLAY!
We are excited about this production of Mockingbird, and invite all who love theatre to audition!
- Print the Audition Information Sheets found here. Fill them out and bring them with you to auditions. Please include a resume of prior theatrical experience as well as a recent photo/headshot of yourself. These will not be returned to you.
- Check the Rehearsal Dates & Performance Dates (also see April – June calendars here) for scheduling conflicts. Be sure to list these on your Audition Information Sheets.
- Please wear comfortable, modest clothing and athletic sneakers, dance sneakers, or jazz shoes.
- Please prepare and memorize a monologue (comedic or dramatic) that is no longer than 60-90 seconds. You will also be reading from the script.
**As part of ArtsView’s child safety policy, clear background checks are a prerequisite for all ArtsView participants, volunteers, staff, and production team members, ages 18 & up.
What to Expect at Auditions
- Arrive 10 minutes before your audition time. Plan on staying for the entire time.
- Sign in and have your picture taken (if needed).
- Go over Audition Information Sheets to make sure you have marked all conflicts (see April – June calendars here). Attach photo & turn in paperwork.
- Auditions are closed. This means that only actors are allowed in the audition room. Parents may pick you up after auditions are concluded.
- Auditions will include reading from the script and character movement. Be willing to “try” any direction the audition panel may give you.
The Cast List will be posted on the front door at ArtsView, on Facebook, and on our website by 9:00pm, April 29th.
*If cast, and 18 or under, there is a $50 supply fee which includes a T-shirt, costumes, and all production supplies.
Auditioning is hard work! Congratulations on your amazing accomplishment!!!
All rehearsals will be held at ArtsView Children’s Theatre.
~ Parent/Participant Meeting with Rehearsal following – Monday, May 1st, parents, participants, and production team meet from 6:00 – 6:30pm. Please print Participant Packet emailed to you, fill out, and bring to this meeting. *Participants under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian to the Participant Meeting. Following the meeting, cast members will have rehearsal until 8:30pm. All rehearsals are closed, parents may pick up after rehearsal is over.
~ Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays May 1-19, 6:00 – 8:30pm. May 22-26, 6:00 – 9:00pm.
~ Saturdays – May 6 & 13 TBA; May 27, 10:00am – 5:00pm. These are required.
~Tech Week: Monday – Friday, May 29 – June 2, 4:00 – 9:00pm (call times apply)
~ Wednesday, May 31, 7:00pm – Final Dress Rehearsal
*See April – June calendars here.
*Participants each receive 2 seats to dress rehearsal.
*Rehearsal call times and release times may vary beginning 2 weeks prior to performances.
Thursday, Friday, and Saturday June 1-3, 2017 at 7:00pm
Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 2:00pm
Tickets on sale Monday, May 8, 2017
$10 Online, $12 in office, by phone, or at the door
See our website: