Our 2020 Playwright Winners and their Submissions
(follow the links to listen to their plays)
Elementary Age Range: Ryland Roedel
Jr. High Age Range: Marguerite Korkie
High School Age Range: Joel Livas and Andrew Wyatt Ponce
"History of the Balloon Race"
Honorable Mention Submissions
Jr. High Age Range: Pete Silverthorne
High School Age Range: Eric Perez and Matthew Miller
"Lobos Win State"
ArtsView Children’s Theatre is looking for ORIGINAL WORKS to be showcased in our Original Works Performance Camp! The winning plays will be brought to life on April 3rd and 4th in our performance camp titled Back Porch Stories! Submission deadline is February 13, 2020.
There are 4 age categories. At least one winner per category will be selected if the play meets criteria listed below according to the judging panel’s decision. (There can be collaborations. Play will be placed in the oldest person’s age category.)
Elementary (K-5th grade) : Play should run 4-6 minutes in length.
Middle School (6th-8th grade): Play should run 5-8 minutes in length.
High School (9th-12th grade): Play should run 8-10 minutes in length.
Adults (18 and up): Play should run 8-10 minutes in length.
Rules for the contest:
1. The title for this year’s contest is: Back Porch Stories
(Stories from Longview’s past, present, or future to celebrate 150 years of Longview. Plays need to be based on actual events or people from any time period from historical Longview, or looking forward to something that could be unique to Longview fifty years from now)
Winning selections will be interwoven into a larger story arc featuring a grandparent and grandchild sharing tales about Longview, and each winning play will appear as vignettes throughout the performance.
2. Plays will be appropriate for children’s theatre. The judging panel will make the final decision as to whether plays are appropriate. If you have any questions concerning this as you are writing, please call ArtsView at 903.236.7535.
3. Costumes, props, and sets will be minimal. *Maximum of 6 characters in your play. This includes narrators.*
4. Plays should be written in play format.
5. Plays must be typed in a word processing style document. If you have an extenuating circumstance, please call and let us know.
6. To submit a work, please email the following to the ArtsView office: (email@example.com)
a. Information Cover Sheet: Name, Grade/Age, Address, Phone Number, Email Address
b. Title page with the title of your play and your name
c. Your play
7. Deadline for submission is 1pm February 13th, 2020. NO EXCEPTIONS.
8. Winners will be listed on the ArtsView website and the ArtsView Facebook page.
Area authors, schools, teachers, and homeschool communities are encouraged to participate! This is a wonderful opportunity to see original works written for children & families come to life through theatre!